Course Numbering System

Undergraduate courses are offered on the levels shown in the following numbering system:

000-099 Noncredit courses.

100-199 Introductory courses, without prerequisite of college work

200-299 Intermediate courses, with prerequisite of 1 to 2 units of Introductory work or Advanced Placement or permission

300-399 Advanced courses, with prerequisite of 2 units of Intermediate work or permission

Courses numbered above 400 are designed for graduate students. The same number is reserved in each department for particular kinds of study:

290 Field Work

297 Reading Course

298 Intermediate Independent Work

399 Senior Independent Work

Courses numbered in the 180 and 280 series are newly developed courses which may be offered on a trial basis under this number for one time only. After this initial offering, the course must either be presented for approval as a regular course or dropped completely by the department.

Courses numbered in the 380 series apply to departmental offerings in which small groups of students pursue advanced work on special topics with special permission. It is understood that the topics are changed from time to time, with no particular time limit, according to the department’s needs, and are listed under the general heading “Special Studies” within the departmental listings. The term may also apply to experimental courses introduced by departments or introduced interdepartmentally which will normally be offered for one year.

Course Notations

[ ] not offered in 2010/11.

a Course offered in the first semester

b Course offered in the second semester

a or b Semester course which may be offered in either semester or in both

a and b Course offered in both semesters

a.1,b.1 Half-unit courses given in the first half of the semester

a.2,b.2 Half-unit courses given in the second half of the semester

- A hyphen separating course numbers shows courses that must be taken for a year for credit (105a-106b). See credit restrictions, page 31.

/ A slash separating course numbers shows courses in which the first semester may be taken alone for credit but is required for permission to elect the second (105a/106b).

A student who fails the first semester of a year-long course (courses with numbers separated by a hyphen or a slash) may not take the second semester except by departmental permission.

, A comma separating course numbers shows that either semester may be elected without the other (105a, 106b).