Geography-Anthropology Program

Faculty: see Earth Science and Geography and Anthropology.

The interdepartmental concentration in geography-anthropology combines courses in these two social sciences to examine the cultural, ecological, and spatial relations of diverse societies. Particular emphasis is given to the cross-cultural study of communities, regions, and their human environments from both anthropological and geographical perspectives.

Requirements for Concentration: A total of 13 units, with no less than 6 units in each field, and the option of a senior thesis (Geography-Anthropology 300-301 or 302). In geography, the following courses are required: an introductory course (Geography 102); a methods course (Geography 220, 224, or 230); a 200-level regional course (such as Geography 236, 238, 242, or 248); 304 and another 300-level seminar. In Anthropology, coursework in at least two of the four subfields is required. Of the 6 units, Anthropology requires at least 2 units of 200-level work, and two 300-level anthropology seminars.

Senior-Year Requirements: An optional senior thesis (Geography-Anthropology 300-301 or 302); and Geography 304 (the Senior Seminar). Majors normally must write a senior thesis to be considered for departmental honors. If a thesis is written, it may substitute for one of the required 300-level seminars, other than Geography 304, with the permission of advisers.

Recommendations: Fieldwork or a study abroad experience in either anthropology or geography is recommended highly.

Advisers: a faculty member from both Anthropology and Geography.

Course Offerings

See Geography and Anthropology.

300a-301b. Senior Thesis(1/2, 1/2)

A 1-unit thesis with 1/2 unit graded provisionally in the fall and 1/2 unit graded in the spring. The final grade, awarded in the spring, shall replace the provisional grade in the fall. Ordinarily, the senior thesis will have two faculty advisors, one from Anthropology and one from Geography. The department.

302a or b. Senior Thesis(1)

Students may elect a 1-unit thesis only in exceptional circumstances. Usually, students will adopt 300-301. The department.

399a or b. Senior Independent Work(1/2-1)

By permission of the adviser and the instructor who will supervise the work.